Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chapters 5&6

This article discusses how to create the story core. It shows how to design a story map and create a flow to a story. Using example, illustrations the article suggests how to implement a digital story into a curriculum. It shows how to break a story into beginning, middle and end while maintaining the main characters challenge or question, growth and triumph in a story. I find this article very interesting as a teaching tool for the classroom. It is not only important to remember story mapping when asking students to create a story. I think that it will be useful as I have students plan other projects that we will be working on. I have my students work on personal timelines as one of their first assignments of the year. Story Maps will be beneficial to the students as they begin working on this project. Campbell’s theories on stories rings true to me and stories I relate to but my students may relate to other forms.


The article explains of how to apply the art of creating a story to the story map. The process is shown by telling and retelling the story of the computer technician's presentation. In the first version, the story is unmemorable; by the final version all of the elements are included to make it a story that resonates and is memorable. A story is more than just a beginning middle and end. This article was helpful as I completed my digital story. I think that it is important to remember that a good story is a good story no matter the medium. I need to ensure that I don’t let the use of technology replace the importance of the content. Include conflict and resolution is important if the story is to be remembered. The last point is similar to something I heard years ago, I wish I could remember who said it, “people will not always remember what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel.” Both quotes resonate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment